Work begins on new Environment Agency flood defences to protect South Ferriby
Work is starting on flood defences on the Humber bank at South Ferriby (Image: Submitted Picture)
By Scunthorpe Telegraph | Posted: 28 Mar 2019
Work is starting on new flood defences on the south Humber bank in South Ferriby.
The Environment Agency scheme was approved by North Lincolnshire Council's planning committee earlier this month and will see new impermeable flood embankment west of the CEMEX plant on Sluice Road, as well as improvements to the north of the A1077 where the embankment will be raised.
New brick-clad walls will also be built around Ferriby Sluice, and a new defence will be installed that can be brought across the A1077 when flood warnings are issued.
The village was devastated by flooding in December 2013, affecting 129 homes and 1,000 hectares of land and causing an estimated £50m worth of economic damage.
The new defences will protect 144 homes, businesses in the village including the CEMEX plant and the Hope and Anchor pub, and nearby agricultural land.
North Lincolnshire Council has contributed £600,000 towards the scheme and council leader Rob Waltham has welcomed work starting on the defences.
North Lincolnshire Council representatives present a cheque for £600,000 to the Environment Agency towards funding for the new flood defences (Image: David Haber/Scunthorpe Live)
He said: "We have been working with the Environment Agency to find a suitable, long term flood defence solution for the South Ferriby community for a number of years.
"It was heartbreaking to see the devastation caused by the flooding in South Ferriby and residents live with the almost constant fear that such an event could happen again.
"I'm proud to say that now the scheme has planning permission, we have moved a step closer to providing peace of mind for the residents and businesses of South Ferriby and further demonstrated that the council is committed to protecting our communities from flooding."
The work at South Ferriby adds to an ongoing project to improve flood defences on the River Trent bank, which began last summer and aims to protect Trentside villages and the planned Lincolnshire Lakes housing developments.
Mr Waltham was part of a group also including ward councillors, Brigg and Goole MP Andrew Percy, representatives from the Environment Agency, CEMEX and contractors working on the defences to visit the site at South Ferriby on Friday, March 23.
Representatives from North Lincolnshire Council, Cemex and the Environment Agency, pictured at a launch event for the new flood defences at South Ferriby (Image: Submitted Picture)
Mike Dugher, deputy director at the Environment Agency, said: "After many years of hard work with our partners, we're pleased to mark the start of construction on a flood defence that will help protect around 150 homes plus local industry, agriculture, infrastructure and economy.
"We expect this much-anticipated £12 million scheme to be completed by 2021 and it will help prevent flooding like that which occurred in 2013 and caused much disruption and distress to local people.
"Our new defence at South Ferriby is just one of the many we're building across the country as part of a £2.6 billion investment by 2021 to reduce flood risk to hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses."
Work on the flood defences is expected to be completed by 2021.