Sean Ramsden named UK Entrepreneur of the Year in European Business Awards
NATIONAL TREASURE: Sean Ramsden.
By Grimsby Telegraph | Posted: 29 Jan 2018
GRIMSBY’S Sean Ramsden has been named as Entrepreneur of the Year in the UK heat of The European Business Awards.
The third generation retailer, who has taken the family’s flair for business global with town-based Ramsden International, will now join the best of the continent, having topped his category.
He was revealed as the winner at a glittering event at London Stock Exchange, having been chosen by a panel of independent judges including senior business leaders, politicians and academics.
WINNER: Sean Ramsden is pictured front, second left, with fellow winners.
Backed by Investec and RSM, it follows the business being named as ‘One to Watch’ in a list of business excellence published in December.
As recently reported, the £50 million turnover business is now exporting groceries to 130 countries, and has just launched its own brand, designed specifically to ease overseas trade, while celebrating British manufacturing.
Mr Ramsden said he was “thrilled to have won the title of National Winner for the UK in the RSM Entrepreneur of the Year Award,” thanking the organisers on Twitter, and adding: “Thank you to the whole team at Ramsden International for your continued dedication and support!”
Long term double-digit growth has been a feature, with the Adam Smith Street company now having offices in six overseas territories – South Africa, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, Canada and the United Arab Emirates. They are supported by more than 20 customer service advisers in Grimsby who speak 16 different languages, offering 23,500 product lines via Nisa in Scunthorpe, where it has recently opened an expanded re-labelling and re-packing facility close to the Normanby Enterprise Park base.
It is the second successive year the town has seen glory, with Grimsby-born Shaun Pulfrey's Tangle Teezer winning the Innovation category in 2016/2017, going on to take the European title too. Fingers will be crossed for Mr Ramsden, who faces further judging ahead of the European Business Awards Gala Final in Warsaw, Poland in May.
Of last night's winners, Jean Stephens, chief executive of RSM International, said: “The exceptional UK business leaders that we celebrated last night have demonstrated strength and commercial excellence in their field, backed by passion, entrepreneurialism and innovation. We wish them continued success and the best of luck to the UK National Winners in the final stage.”
James Arnold, head of global markets at Investec added: “Investec is an entrepreneurial bank and we love working closely with like-minded businesses. Every company is different, but many of the best share that culture of entrepreneurialism and have a willingness to back talent. That’s what sets these businesses apart.”
- Ramsden International, The RSM Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- Charles Taylor Plc, The ELITE Award for Growth Strategy of the Year
- NMC Health, The Germany Trade & Invest Award for International Expansion
- Childbase Partnership, The Workplace and People Development Award
- Epos Now, The Award for Innovation
- Neuven Solutions Limited, The Customer and Market Engagement Award
- Nurture Landscapes Ltd, The Social Responsibility and Environmental Awareness Award
- Prepaid Financial Services, The Digital Technology Award
- Oceanair, The Business of the Year Award with Turnover of £0-25m
- Bluetree Group, The Business of the Year Award with Turnover of £26-150m
- Softcat Plc, The Business of the Year Award with Turnover of £150m or higher
- The Happiness Index, The New Business of the Year Award