North Lindsey College celebrates National Apprenticeship Week with awards ceremony
North Lindsey College Apprentice Awards Ceremony
By Scunthorpe Telegraph | Posted: 14 Mar 2018
North Lindsey College celebrated the end of National Apprenticeship Week with a special awards ceremony for apprentices.
Lord Sugar’s former apprentice, Joseph Valente, came to Scunthorpe to speak at the event of his very own experiences as an apprentice to nominees, businesses, school representatives and local students.
The ceremony commenced with a performance from the college's Level 3 dance students before Joseph’s speech and the presentation of the awards.
This year, the awards were all sponsored by small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and larger businesses in the region including British Steel, Ongo, HITEK Electronic Materials, Jacobs, Britcon Ltd, Care Plus Group, The Willows Beauty Salon, GS Kelsey Construction, Immingham Motors, Options Autism, Imperial Commercials and Can-Pack UK.
"The evening has been thoroughly interesting. A totally inspirational speaker and our apprentices were captivated," said Grant Bailey, from Havercroft Construction, who took home the apprentice employer award at the ceremony.
"It is so encouraging that there is recognition for local employers. For me personally, it has been the most satisfying twelve months having our group of apprentices. It has provided a level of motivation to existing staff who also subscribe to the idea of apprentices."
Read more: Provider partnership's new leadership courses can use 'apprentice levy' pot
The following awards were given out on the evening:
- Intermediate Apprentice of the Year - Emelia Massie
- Advanced Apprentice of the Year - Michelle Barrowclough
- Higher Apprentice of the Year - Carl Atkinson
- Health & Social Care, Childcare and Education Apprentice of the Year - Lauren Oxby
- Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy Apprentice of the Year - Chloe Spivey
- Support Services Apprentice of the Year - Salma Sanad-Own
- Construction and Building Services Apprentice of the Year - Caleb Towerzey
- Engineering Apprentice of the Year - Daniel Portlock
- Motor Vehicle Apprentice of the Year - Bruce Richbell
- Assessor of the Year - Nicola Beel
- Apprentice Employer Award - Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust, Havercroft Construction and British Steel
- Apprentice Small Employer Award - Shift Traffic Events
- Lifetime Apprentice of the Year - Tom Jackson Construction