Energy Works Hull's future thrown into chaos as main builder's contract terminated
Hull's Energy Works
By Hull Daily Mail | Posted: 5 Mar 2019
The main builder of Hull’s £200m Energy Works plant has had its contract terminated due to “significant delays” at the site.
M+W Group, which has led the construction of the energy to waste plant in Cleveland Street, will now no longer work on the project on the renewable energy plant.
Energy Works Hull has said the move “guarantees the future of the plant,” amid uncertainty over when it will get up and running.
Some staff working at the plant reported being "escorted off the site" on Monday evening, and now it has been announced M+W has been thrown off the project.
Last December, it was confirmed the opening of Energy Works had once again been pushed back, with spring 2019 announced as the target.
A spokesman at Energy Works said: “Energy Works Hull (“EWH”), a combined heat and power (“CHP”) enabled gasification plant and one of the largest renewable energy facilities of its kind in the UK, today announces that it has terminated MW High Tech Projects UK Limited’s engineering, procurement and construction (“EPC”) contract at the plant.
“It’s a decision that we have taken with great reluctance. The decision comes after, among other things, significant delay to the works.
“We will implement shortly a recovery plan to continue with the works. This move guarantees the future of the plant, and we look forward to continuing to process waste and produce renewable energy for the people of Hull.”
Energy Works has created around 160 jobs during its construction. Once completed, the waste to energy plant will support 25 further jobs.
The £200m Energy Works complex in Hull (Hull Daily Mail)
The plant will generate enough clean electricity to power more than 40,000 homes. It also hopes to reduce the amount of waste heading to landfill by 240,000 tonnes.
A contractor working on the site on Monday described being escorted off Energy Works.
They said: "Everyone on the site has just been evicted by people wearing suits who look like bailiffs.
"I am contracting there and was escorted off the site. It was quite scary and looked serious. I hope all is ok."
Energy Works was originally earmarked to open in late 2018. However, last December, the project manager at the site revealed that date had been pushed back.
Chris Wilcock said: “In the industry we are in, you face challenges when you put equipment together for the first time.
Watch: A picket line outside Energy Works last year
“This is the first time in the UK this configuration has been put together…we are now at advanced stages of commissioning.”
Last April, a water leak at Energy Works sparked a walkout from workers on the site.
It came just months after a separate incident which saw almost 300 people down tools amid concerns over health and safety.
M+W Group declined to comment.